Tanker 463; Fire Season 2017

Tanker 463; Fire Season 2017
Photo by Bill Barr - CLICK ME!

Friday, August 4, 2017

Fire Camp Pt. 5

Hello all, we are closing in on the end of my Fire Camp "series." Just one more section after this! I do thank you for sticking with me so far.

Our final event was to learn about medical evacuations while on the fire line. We watched a video about a situation where a firefighter was injured and needed to be evacuated by helicopter. However, it was almost 12 hours before he was removed. The team relied too much on the helicopter coming, but there were many dead ends for the helicopter.

We learned how to carry a crew member out on a litter and how to make one from materials at hand as well. Our group also showed the instructors how to use our Nomex shirts to create a litter; it held light and heavy weight successfully.

Next, we ran a scenario. Our crew was once again split in half for this. We were assisting on a fire where we had to attack from two sides. One had to go up a very steep logging trail to attack the fire, and the other took a slightly less steep trail. I was on the crew on the less steep trail.

We were digging line when it came across the radio that there was a medical situation with a firefighter – she had twisted her ankle severely. We continued to work because the situation was under control. Soon after however, the situation escalated and they needed help getting her from the fire line.

We made our way off the line we had dug and made our way to the other crew. We picked up the litter that was laying at the gathering point and climbed the hill.

Then I had a problem…

My physical limitations wouldn’t have allowed me to safely carry her, myself and my tool down the side of this hill. I had problems getting up it as it were, and when I realized this I had a small anxiety attack. I let my squad leader know what was going on and explained my limitations. I then removed myself from the situation without jeopardizing the safety of myself or others.

I felt terrible that I had to bow out, but, at this point I thought to myself it’s almost over there’s not much I can mess up now. But another part of me was worried that I would fail the camp because I didn’t finish that part.


They brought her down off that steep hill in a safe manner; someone had thought to tie all the tools together and bring them down that way to give the others balance while carrying her. They signaled the helicopter (no, not a real one) in and got her evacuated swiftly.

Next week I will post the conclusion to my series! I hope you stayed tuned!

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment