Tanker 463; Fire Season 2017

Tanker 463; Fire Season 2017
Photo by Bill Barr - CLICK ME!

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Fire Camp Final Post

Hello again! Today is the final post in the fire camp series. Thank you so much for sticking with me and following along, I appreciate it!

We had completed the final event for the day successfully. Lastly was the long hike and spiking out for camp. Of course, the other lady and myself were collected and put in the vehicle for the way back. It had been a long day for everyone, and I was still tense from my anxiety attack, but I felt accomplished.
Once we made it back to where we were camping for the night it was time to set up. I used the 60 second tent my co-worker lent me, and got it done quick. I then unrolled my sleeping bag and took out the clothes I would need for the morning.

Deciding that I had plenty of time to shower and eat, I started gathering my hygiene kit. One of the females in my crew asked me to go with her in a buddy system and I agreed; another member of our crew walked down with us as well. I took a quick shower and returned to my tent, and having switched over to flip flops to give my feet some air I was fairly content.

I joined the others in the large tent with my MRE (grilled chicken breast and minestrone soup) and listened to the others chatter as they waited for theirs to heat. When I was in boot camp we never used the heaters, in my opinion it doesn’t ever make much of a difference of more than a few degrees. I didn’t bother wasting the time and dug in, ignoring some of the odd looks I was given.

I snickered when I heard our Crew Supervisor make the comment that he regretted wasting the time on the heater.  My co-worker stopped by to ask me about the day, I told him that I was still thoroughly exhausted and looking forward to curling up in my sleeping bag for the night. I finished what was left of my MRE and went to my tent; not long after my head hitting my makeshift blanket I was asleep.

The next morning I was up earlier than planned due to 1. A very loud diesel engine firing up near my tent 2. Someone saying “GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE” to literally everyone who walked by and 3. I was ready for the day to be over already. We were told breakfast was at 8, I had woken up at 6, so that gave me 2 hours to tear down camp and put my gear in the cabin to be picked up, brush my teeth and get to breakfast. I handled the first two things within an hour, and I took a lap around the camp area before deciding to take a chance that we could eat breakfast early.

Strangely enough, the breakfast hall was already open and some members of the other crews were in there eating. It was only 7:10, oh well, I grabbed my food and sat down at a table with people I recognized. I finished eating, but got up for a coffee and joined someone I knew from my crew. I sat and talked with him as he finished his food, and walked out with him to where we were gathering in the tent for our final classes.

The last class was about what to pack when going on an assignment. There are plenty of essentials to pack and then it’s down to personal preference. Of course, one also must remember the weight limit for flying. There are items that you can get once you arrive at your destination.

Once this class was over we got our reviews from our crew bosses and received our certificates of completion. I thought that I had done well for my limitations, and it seemed that my review reflected that as well. We cleaned up common areas that we used over the weekend, and then headed to the last event of the day: a final meeting.

We gathered in the amphitheater for closing remarks, and finally we were done. I had learned a lot this weekend, and it was still kind of spinning around my head in a fervor; but I did feel prepared. I didn’t feel like if I were to be assigned on a fire, that I’d be completely lost.


Speaking from a support point of view, I recommend taking this camp if you’re going to be in a support position. It would really help you to understand what the firefighters are doing and going through while on an assignment. Be prepared for it, don’t go in blind – even if you’re behind the scenes.

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment