Tanker 463; Fire Season 2017

Tanker 463; Fire Season 2017
Photo by Bill Barr - CLICK ME!

Wednesday, August 14, 2024

INVF Assignment

Today we would like to take the time to present you all with something a little different. Recently we had one of our own utilize his training and experience to make an arrest as well as help with many investigations while on an out of state assignment. Here we have something from him, in his own words on this recent assignment. So, sit back and enjoy this account from Jacob Novitsky, a fire forester in Forest District 18.

"Imagine receiving a call from a dispatch center asking for your assistance in solving how a wildland fire started. This particular fire started more than 2,500 miles away from your hometown. The weather, not quite like home, is 117 degrees Fahrenheit with 8 percent humidity, and it hasn’t rained in months. Winds are variable at 8-10 mph, with gusts to 15. Furthermore, wildfires have been popping up more and more over the past few weeks in and around the area.

When you are about 15 miles out, you start seeing a large plume of smoke rising out of the valley - and you’re headed right for it. While driving, you pass tons of cacti and they seem to wave “Hi,” welcoming you as you fly down State Route 72.

As you get closer and closer, you start documenting what color the smoke is, what direction the column is leaning, and what times you start witnessing these signs. This happens as you try to stay the course as your GPS directs you where to turn - and you’re simultaneously talking on the phone with local volunteer fire companies.

Finally getting to your destination, you meet the Incident Commander (IC) where you find yourself right in the middle of a burn-out operation. It is here where you get a briefing where you learn that the fire started somewhere down that way, near a residence. At first you think it could be a dream, but it wasn’t.

Just a few weeks ago this happened to me. I was able to go out on my first single resource assignment as an INVF (Wildland Fire Investigator) under the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA). The trip was to Arizona, where I was based in the city of Chandler just outside of Phoenix. For this assignment, I was able to do 21 working days.

I served as a regional INVF resource and worked with multiple dispatches, and covered Indian reservations, along with federal and state lands. When a wildfire would occur in this region and an INVF was needed, they would dispatch me to determine the O&C (Origin and Cause). I investigated approximately three dozen wildfires while I was there. The causes included debris burning, equipment use, lightning, power line, and incendiary.

During this assignment, I have seen how much my training, in-state and out-of-state experience, and mentoring has helped me become a great INVF. Having opportunities to go on out of state assignment, let it be single resource, engine, or hand crew greatly increases the learning curve. I started out at an FFT2. I worked my way up, step by step, moving up the ladder to faller, squad boss (ITC5), crew boss, and other single resource positions. This gave me a well-rounded look at what we do, how we do it, and why we do what we do.

On my recent assignment, I had the training and experience not only to determine my O&C but notice when things weren’t lining up. I was able to determine where a wildfire started, how it was started, and find out who started it.

I was able to interview, interrogate, and get a signed confession of the individual responsible for starting a wildfire that measured approximately 80 acres. It was my first arrest outside of Pennsylvania.

With our agency allowing us to go and have these experiences, we are not just gaining knowledge but helping other agencies as well. Not only was I able to make an arrest for arson, but I was able to mentor one of their own investigators. He now has more knowledge and experience that he can take and help out his own agency."

No comments:

Post a Comment