Tanker 463; Fire Season 2017

Tanker 463; Fire Season 2017
Photo by Bill Barr - CLICK ME!

Friday, July 21, 2017

Fire Camp Pt. 3

Hello again all! Time for another installment in my fire camp posts. I will have 3 more after this one, and I hope you will continue to stick with me for it!


I waited for the rest of my crew at our first exercise point, we were going to be heading into the events with digging fire line. I was a little relieved at that, getting this out of the way before the heat of the day really cranked up seemed like a grand idea to me.

We were divided into 4 squads and had Squad Bosses who were in their own training like us. There were either 2 or 3 students under each Squad Boss, and we reported to those respective leaders. They would then report to our Crew Boss.

Our goal was to dig a 3-foot-wide fire line with a foot in the middle down to mineral soil. We had a selection of tools to accomplish this: Pulaskis, combi-tools and shovels. There would be more types of tools depending on the terrain and fuel type if the crew was on an assignment.

After the crew’s briefing and hiking to the simulated fire area, we all began to dig line. Using something called the one lick method; we’d all take one stroke or so with our tools and move on, all while keeping 10 feet of distance between ourselves. I had been on a prescribed fire recently and it was still in my head to be looking for spot fires, so even hearing the reminders from the instructors I was actively looking around me. I spotted smoke (yes, real smoke) and announced it to the crew.

My squad boss took control of the situation and the other two squad members plus myself followed him. We worked our way through the brush to where the smoke was, spotting two more spot fires on the way in. We quickly dug a line around the respective spots and upon being told by the squad boss, we made our way back to the line to continue digging.

We broke for a while to learn some new things – like how to grid for spot fires and how to use a belt weather kit to determine how close the area was to an ignition point. We all took the extra time to hydrate while we learned, since hydration is another key element for your health on assignment.

Having finished our line digging it was time to grid for spot fires. This is a slow and careful process so that no fires are missed. We all formed a line on the green side of the fire line, and keeping approximately 4 feet between us began our search; our goal was to grid one way and then come back again in the opposite direction. Then someone near my right yelled, “SNAKE!” Shortly it was followed by, “Oh hell, another snake!!” One of the other squad members had almost stepped on one rattlesnake, and when they stepped backwards almost stepped on another one. My first instinct was to run very far and very fast, but I held still.



We finished gridding the first direction, having found a few of the spot fires that were laid out for us. But, having seen the snakes and some time constraints, we ended the gridding. On our way out of the exercise we were to rehabilitate the line. To do this we had to pull all the dirt and leaf litter we removed from the line back onto the line and make it look like nothing had ever happened there.

Leaving the exercise area, I was feeling good about the day. We settled in for our bagged lunch – another high calorie deal – and waited until it was time for our next exercise.

As always, I hope you all stick with me through this! Only a few more to go!
-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment